The Singapore Institute of Biology was founded in 1974 by
an enthusiastic group of biologists who wanted to further the cause of Biology
and its applications. It was officially registered as a Society on 26 February
1975 with the following objectives as stated in its Constitution.
- To promote the advancement of biology and its applications.
- To encourage the improvement of education in biology and the
training of those interested in biology.
- To advance the character and status of the profession of biology
and its applications, and the interests of those engaged therein.
- To facilitate the exchange of information in biology and its
applications through meetings, exhibitions, publications and other ways.
- To publicise and disseminate information about biology and its
application and on matters concerning the profession.
- To secure and distribute grants and loans for education and research
in biology and its applications.
- To represent the opinion of the members of the Institute on matters
related to the objectives of the Institute.
The Institute is affiliated to:
It also works closely with several local and overseas institutions
SIBiol has as its distinguished patrons:
- Mr Richard Edward Hale, F.C.I.B.
- Dr Tan Keong Choon, Ph.D. (London), M.I.E.M, F.I.E.S., F.G.S
The current SIBiol Council Members
Department of Biological Sciences
National University of Singapore
10 Kent Ridge Crescent
Address for Correspondence and Enquiries
How to Contact us
Mr Richard Edward Hale
Dr Tan Keong Choon
Prof Chou Loke Ming
Prof Rao A N
Prof Leo Tan Wee Hin
Dr Chua Sian Eng
A/P Diong Cheong Hoong
Prof Lee Sing Kong
A/P Tan Teck Koon
Mr Wong Yew Kwan
A/P Yeoh Hock Hin